Powered by Max Banner Ads
“Brown Bag” French Apple Pie Recipe
By July 10, 2012Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
Yummy easy to make French Apple Pie
- 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 5 TBSP water
- 8 Cups Apples Peeled and Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 TBSP All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 TSP Nutmeg Ground
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1 TSP Cinnamon Ground
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (For Topping)
- 1/2 Cup All Pupose Flour (For Topping)
- 1/3 Cup Butter (For Topping) Softened
- 1 Large Paper Bag
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
To make the pie: 1) Combine the first measure of flour, salt and shortening using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then stir in the water a little at a time, using a fork, and form the dough into a ball.
2) Roll out the pastry dough on a lightly floured board. Roll to an 11" or 12" diameter and fit into a 9" pie pan fluting the edges.
3) Combine the sugar, the second measure of flour, the cinnamon, the nutmeg and the lemon juice in a large bowl then toss the apple slices in the mixture and arrange them in the pie crust.
To make the topping: 4) Combine the sugar and flour in a bowl and cut in the butter using a pastry cutter then sprinkle the topping over the apple filling.
5) Place the pie in the LARGE paper bag and place the paper bag on a baking sheet and loosely fold the open end of the bag under. Bake until the apples are tender (50-60 minutes).
6) Carefully remove the pie from the bag ~ CAUTION: WATCH OUT FOR THE STEAM COMING OUT OF THE BAG!
7) Serve warm with generous portions of vanilla ice cream.